The Inlet Historical Society is pleased to host its first ever historical walking tour of downtown Inlet this Friday, July 12th, at 10:00 a.m. Please meet in front of the Historical Society building at 10a.m. for a casual and informative walking tour of the Inlet business district, followed by an open house at the IHS building.
For the first program on its 2013 summer schedule, the Inlet Historical Society, a 501(c) (3) charitable organization, presents “Before There Was Inlet, Part One” at 7 p.m. on Wednesday evening, June 26, in the Inlet Town Hall at Arrowhead Park in Inlet.
Charles Herr will discuss the lives, plans and hopes of the owners of the Inlet’s lands before settlers’ transportation and civic needs resulted in the town’s separation from Morehouse in 1902. The territory’s owners included the original namesake of Sagamore Lake, a founder of Port Leyden and a famous mathematician who traveled the Adirondacks for 20 years beginning in the 1830s and who once owned all of Raquette Lake. Also, learn what may be still inaccurate about the statutory boundary of the Town of Inlet as defined by state law in 1902.
The program will follow a popular format of comparing contemporary images with current photos of the same locations, the Society invites you to join us on Wednesday evening June 26. As with all Society programs, members and non-members alike are invited.
If you need directions, please contact Inlet Tourism Office at 315-357-5501.
Inlet Historical Society has a full schedule of events for Summer 2013, including our first-ever classic car show!
- Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 11:00 a.m. – Unveiling of the new sign in front of the Historical Society Building on Main Street, together with an open house.
- Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. – Presentation on Inlet Then and Now Part I by Charlie Herr
- Friday, July 12, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. – Historical walking tour of downtown Inlet, followed by an open house at the Historical Society building.
- Wednesday, July 24, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. – Presentation of Inlet Then and Now Part II by Charlie Herr
- Saturday July 27, 2013 from 10:00-4:00 – Classic Car Show!
- Thursday, August 7, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. – Historical Society Annual Meeting of Members and a Slide Show & Lecture, “Adirondack Adventures, French Louie and his Biographer” by Author Roy Reehil.
- Friday, August 9, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. – Historical walking tour of downtown Inlet, followed by an open house of the Historical Society building.
- Thursday, August 28, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. – Presentation on Historic Inlet Hotels by the people who ran them. RESCHEDULED – date tbd.
- Thursday, September 18, 2013 – Presentation on Old Hunting Camps by Mitch Lee.
On Tuesday, May 28th, a Donation Dinner benefiting the Inlet Historical Society will occur at Billy’s Italian American Restaurant in Old Forge. Billy’s has for years held these dinners for many local non-profits and organizations. The restaurant donates 20% of all sales to the organization. Billy’s has great food, bring your friends and family and have a good time. Food, community gathering and above all, the evening will help support the Inlet Historical Society. Please reserve a place by calling 369-2001. You can also order takeout of a great dinner.
On Saturday May 25th at 11:00 a.m. the Inlet Historical Society will proudly unveil our new sign at the IHS building on Main Street in Inlet. Please join us for this exciting event as we celebrate our new building and hear about the exciting improvements we have planned, and our schedule of programs and events for the summer season. We’ll also have an open house with refreshments at the IHS building. We look forward to seeing you, and to our new sign serving as a gateway to the Inlet business district.
In its fourth year, the Inlet Historical Society [a Section 501 (c)(3) charitable organization] wishes to thank all new and renewing members, as well as others, who have contributed to the Society’s efforts in preserving and presenting the history of the Town of Inlet and the surrounding region.
We have listed all to our knowledge who have responded generously and hope readers will consider joining your friends and neighbors listed below in supporting our efforts to protect and tell about the history of the full and part time families of Inlet.
The Society wishes to also thank the following Continue Reading »
Inlet Historical Society Makes History!
Happy New Year 2013.
download the newsletter pdf
2012 truly proved to be a banner year for the Inlet Historical Society (IHS). We have a hard-working, motivated and forward-thinking Board of Trustees, and the Board took charge in creative and very productive ways. They set realistic, specific goals for 2012 and dedicated their efforts towards achieving them:
- IHS took possession of our own building on Main Street, directly across Route 28 from the Woods Inn… Continue Reading »